The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) is the official history agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Created in 1945, we are responsible for the collection, conservation, and interpretation of Pennsylvania's historic heritage, which we accomplish through:
- Pennsylvania State Archives
- The State Museum of Pennsylvania
- Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums / Pennsylvania Trails of History
- Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office
- Bureau of Management Services
Our Mission: The PHMC works in partnership with others to preserve the Commonwealth's natural and cultural heritage as a steward, teacher and advocate for the people of Pennsylvania and the nation.
Our Vision: The PHMC enriches people's lives by helping them to understand Pennsylvania's past, to appreciate the present, and to embrace the future.