Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women

Title

Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women

Title

Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women

Date

2002-09-20

County

Montgomery

Type

Roadside

Marker Location

580 Meetinghouse Road, Ambler

Marker Text

This school was among the first in the nation to educate women for careers in horticulture and agriculture. It was founded in 1910 on this site by Jane Bowne Haines and a "congress of women." Three years later the Woman's National Farm and Garden Association originated here at a meeting sponsored by the school. During WWI & WWII PSHW trained women to grow and preserve food for the war effort. In 1958, PSHW merged with Temple University.

Files

pa-school-of-horticulture-for-women.jpg

Citation

“Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women,” The Land of Penn and Plenty: Bringing History to the Table, accessed August 9, 2020, https://pafoodways.omeka.net/items/show/20.