Eagle Grange No. 1

Title

Eagle Grange No. 1

Title

Eagle Grange No. 1

Date

2001-05-05

County

Lycoming

Type

Roadside

Marker Location

Rte. 15 and E. Blind Road, Montgomery

Marker Text

Pennsylvania's first Grange, officially organized March 4, 1871, two and a half years before organization of the Pennsylvania State Grange on Sept. 18, 1873. The National grange (order of Patrons of Husbandry) had been established in 1867. Objectives of this and other Granges included cooperative purchasing, lowering of railroad rates, and rural free delivery. They pioneered in giving equal status to women. A grange hall was built here, 1887.

Files

eagle-grange-no1.jpg

Citation

“Eagle Grange No. 1,” The Land of Penn and Plenty: Bringing History to the Table, accessed September 25, 2017, http://pafoodways.omeka.net/items/show/6.