The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service

Title

The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service

Title

The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service

Date

2012-06-07

County

Bedford

Type

Roadside

Marker Location

3744 Pitt St. (Rt. 30), Schellsburg

Marker Text

One of the nation’s earliest cooperative extension offices was established in 1910 in Schellsburg, Bedford County with A. B. Ross as county agent. The innovative program sought to educate farmers about agricultural science to increase their productivity. County Extension offices are now found throughout the US. Farmers and other citizens continue to benefit from agents’ expertise on agriculture, 4-H programs, and family and consumer science.

Files

beginning-agricultural-cooperative-extension-service.jpg

Citation

“The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service,” The Land of Penn and Plenty: Bringing History to the Table, accessed September 25, 2017, http://pafoodways.omeka.net/items/show/141.